Saturday, October 18, 2008

11 weeks - first ob visit

(This has been saved as a draft since October 18)

The first ob visit went well.

It started with the ultrasound. I was expecting outdated technology, but I was pleasantly surprised. Mounted on the wall was a large, widescreen monitor so that Jack and I could see everything without having to crane for a view of the monitor the tech was using. She started by doing an abdominal ultrasound. My first experience with gelly belly! I was not expecting that, and did not have the requisite full bladder. We could make out Iggy, but she wound up switching to the transvaginal ultrasound because it would allow her to see more detail. And there Iggy was! Looking more and more human each time we see (her? him?).

[Still not as active today as the day we went in because I was spotting, but I am starting to think that all that activity may have been a response to the adrenaline coursing through my body that morning. I told Jack I will be drinking a coke before our next scan.]

The best part? We got to hear Iggy's heart beat for the first time. It filled the room, and it was the most amazing sound I have ever heard. Iggy's heart rate was measured for the first time, as well, and it was 171.

After that we met with the nurse. Overwhelming is all I can say. She gave us so much information, a pregnancy book I actually didn't have yet, as well as a diaper bag full of junk from a formula company and lots of ads for various other products. My head was spinning when we were done.

Then, finally, the ob part. She performed an internal exam and pronounced everything perfect. Told me I could (gulp. gasp.) stop taking both the progesterone and the metformin. Took pity on me when I panicked in the face of waiting four whole weeks for my next appointment, and scheduled me to come back in two weeks instead. At the end, she hugged me and told me how happy she was for me.

I still can't believe this is really happening. When does it start to feel real?

No comments: