Tuesday, September 30, 2008

advice, please

Things continue to go well, much to my astonishment and gratitude. I'm still not completely comfortable with the idea that this pregnancy is real, and will really result in a baby, but I think it's slowly sinking in.

We met with Dr. Cautious last week to discuss the ultra-screen (blood tests + nuchal translucency scan) test to check for Down Syndrome. Going in, I assumed that since there is zero risk to the pregnancy, there was no reason not to have the test. Dr. Cautious, however, felt that if we know we would not terminate based on DS, then it is best not to do the test because statistically we are already not at high risk and the results can create a lot of unnecessary stress for people who mostly have normal pregnancies anyway, and push people towards invasive testing (amniocentesis, etc) that does carry a small risk to the pregnancy.

What do you think? Have you had this test done? Did you receive a false positive? I really don't need additional stress (I create plenty for myself), but I was hoping we would do the test and receive a reassuring result which might help me feel better.

Jack and I can't decide. He is much more leery of amniocentesis than I am (which I find a little strange, since no one will be stabbing him with a huge needle). I have more of a desire to know whatever is knowable. But again, the false positives, the stress! And we have to decide soon since we are 8 weeks now and the test can only be performed between 11 and 13 weeks.

3 comments:

swissmiss said...

Hm, I've never heard that about the nuchal fold test (they don't do the blood screening here, just the ultrasound measurement). My Dr. did say that about the amnio - if you wouldn't terminate don't do the test - and we did not do amnio with the Small Boy (IVF #1) but did with Boychen (FET #3). But the screening? Hm, a false positive never really occurred to me. Maybe it should have.

Michelle said...

I've never had the test myself but have a family member and a friend who did and both of them had a false positive. It was a lot of stress for no reason. Sorry if that does not help you.

Anonymous said...

I had the test. It was no big deal. Just know going in that you have to wait for the results. They aren't immediate. That may cause you some anxiety but if you are able to put it out of your head then and view it as just another standard procedure, then you'll be fine. Being 35, I was reasured by the results.