Sunday, January 14, 2007

much better

This past week was crazy. First my mother calls and tells me my grandmother is dying. She also called her sister(my aunt) to come home from Reykjavik, so I know she thought the end was very nigh. On Thursday my grandmother was diagnosed with two separate infections, started on massive doses of antibiotics, and I heard that she was a bit better (my aunt arrived that night). On Friday morning I received the news that she was practically back to "normal" (normal for her, which is not great these days, still sleeping a lot and not talking). By the time I got to see her on Saturday morning she was BETTER. As in, more lucid than she has been in YEARS. She had no idea who I was, but she recognized my aunt. We talked with her for hours, and she stayed completely focused on one topic the entire time. Usually she is fairly withdrawn, and asks the same questions over and over. This weekend she didn't ask any of her usual questions. In fact, she didn't ask many questions at all. She talked, and talked, and talked. So much so that I asked a nurse to check on her in case it was delirium. She was in such good spirits. It was wonderful to hear her laugh. But the entire experience was bizarre. I am incredibly grateful to have had the past two days with her. I saw glimpses of her old, true self. I don't know if I will ever see them again, but I doubt it.

Needless to say, with all the tension last week, I completely missed national delurking week (or whatever it was called). I didn't delurk anywhere, and I didn't ask anyone to delurk here. But, it's not too late if you would like to say hi! I really wish I were better about commenting. I love it when I get comments (thanks swissmiss and watson and shazz!), but I don't leave them nearly often enough. I never actually made any new years resolutions this year . . . maybe mine could be to actually type out my responses to all of the fabulous blog entries I read each week, instead of just thinking them.

No comments: