Saturday, September 16, 2006

unexpected complications of metformin

In my excitement about having an RE appointment, I forgot to relay yesterday that I passed my liver tests and received a metformin prescription.

My pharmacist happens to be someone with whom I have a friendly but not especially close social acquaintance. I like her, but I don't see her often. She called me at work on Thursday. (My work # is not part of the pharmacy records, as I have recently changed jobs.)

"Hi," she said, "this is Jenna."

"Oh, hi. How are you?"

"I'm fine. I'm your pharmacist now, you know."

"Yeah, I know."

"Was your doctor going to call in a prescription for metformin for you?"

"Yes."

"Do you know what the dose was going to be? They left it off."

"The nurse told me it was 500mg."

"I figured. That's standard. I'll have to call the office to check, anyway. We're out right now. I'm going to go to another store and pick some up for you but it won't be ready until after six."

"Don't worry about it! I'll just get it tomorrow!"

And then I thought, does she think I'm crazy or irresponsible because I don't want to treat my type 2 diabetes right away? Which I don't have, but is the most common (and only approved, I think) use for metformin.

Already, the metformin prescription is turning out to be socially awkward. In my attempt to open up a bit, I have been talking to my mother more about what is going on in my life infertility-wise. So she felt compelled to relay to the familial medical gossip chain that I was taking metformin, while keeping confidential (as I requested) the fact that we are infertile. Resulting in the receipt, by me, of many emails from far flung relatives concerned about how I was coping with being diabetic. Much heartfelt sympathy was offered regarding the suckiness of daily finger pricking and food obsessing. Which I am not doing any of, so I don't know how to respond. Actually I responded with an angry phone call to my mother, who sniffed than I am nice to everyone but her. Sigh. I really thought it would be obvious that my request for privacy would extend to any medical news I might relate, but apparently not.

I took my first dose of metformin last night. I am now anxiously awaiting the horrible side effects I have heard so much about from friends and family. And agonizing over how to respond to all those emails. And considering whether I need to call and apologize to my mother.

2 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Well...think of it this way. When you finally get a BFP and you're telling people, you can send an email like, "well, we have some good news--I'm not diabetic and we're infertile...I mean...we're pregnant!"

swissmiss said...

Oh, ouch, that's a messy situation about the metformin. I imagine you have to nip the diabetic rumor in the bud otherwise people will be sending you emails with sympathy, advice, etc plus watching over your shoulder at any and all family gatherings. Could you clear it up with a little white lie like the metformin is experimental to deal with bad periods? Strictly speaking not entirely a lie, is it? Blah, what a mess. Sorry you have to figure out how to deal with that, and I'm glad you moved forward with that RE appointment.